Re: fingering orientation

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: fingering orientation
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:54:08 -0500

It looks as though the command to set fingeringOrientations was not affecting the lower voice when you created multiple voices using <<{ \\ }>>. If you put the \set fingeringOrientations command inside the {} of the voice that actually contains the fingerings, then you get the orientation you want. This, however, makes the spacing messy as there's a documented bug having to do with the spacing of fingerings to the left of arpeggios. Here's the working code (with the buggy spacing):

\version "2.11.62"
\include "deutsch.ly"

upperStaff = \relative c' {
        \clef treble    \key as \minor  \time 2/4

        \repeat volta 2 {
                \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
                <ces-4 es-3 ces'-1>4(\p^"Andante" <ces es ces'>) |

                <<
                { b'\arpeggio( as) }
                \\
                { \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left) <ces,-4 es-3>2\arpeggio

lowerStaff = \relative c {
        \clef bass      \key as \minor  \time 2/4
        as | as
}

\book {
        \score {
                \context PianoStaff <<
                        \set PianoStaff.connectArpeggios = ##t
                        \context Staff = upper \upperStaff
                        \context Staff = lower \lowerStaff

                \layout { }

Hope that helps,

Jon

Helge Kruse wrote:
Hello,

I write a piece for harp. I need sometimes fingering information for the player. While sometimes fingering above the staff is ok, I need it at the left side under some circumstances. In the example I want to write the fingering number for the notes "ces" and "es" at the left side of the arpeggio, but I did not succeed.

How can I achieve this request?

Best regards,
Helge