Re: horizontal shifting of rests

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: horizontal shifting of rests
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:03:33 -0400

On Monday 27 October 2008 08:36, Tom Cloyd wrote:
> In a 3 voice piece, I need a rest in the middle voice, but there's not
> enough space. I'm trying to shift the rest to the right,

The rest should be to the left, before a stem.  Otherwise, it looks like
the rest should follow the note which precedes it. This is an obscure
rule, so you can find erroneous examples easily. I have seen
both correct and incorrect examples in old music of Sor. In both cases
there were many measures repeated with the same usage.

The newer and shorter z or s rest was invented before 1808 to make this
problem somewhat less likely.  Regards, daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
http://www.openguitar.com/dynamic.html :::: You can play the cards