Re: What to do when \> and \< produce text

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: What to do when \> and \< produce text
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:20:46 -0700

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:59 AM, George_ <address@hidden> wrote:

> The exclusion of the command \cresc and \dim from this section, and the fact
> that there are actual commands giving a text crescendo (\crescTextCresc,
> \dimTextDecresc, \dimTextDecr, and \dimTextDim) sort of implies that \cresc
> and \dim just give a text dynamics once, to distinguish from the above
> commands where it turns the text dynamics into default until set otherwise.
> To say the least, this is very confusing. As I said before (and I am even
> more certain about this now) I think the \cresc and \dim should be changed
> in future versions of Lilypond (especially with the stable release coming
> up) to make them into one-time text dynamics. However, whether they are
> changed or not, they should still be included into the Notation Reference
> and it should explicitly note the exact function of these commands.

The last time I tried \cresc and \dim, they didn't work correctly or
produced ugly results, so I think they are being reserved for
backwards compatibility.  This is the reason why I have not documented
them in Chapter 1.3 of the Notation Reference.

I believe the "one-time" text dynamic commands have been requested in
the past, but they are not yet implemented.

Regards,
Patrick