Re: Trouble getting my page layout just right

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Trouble getting my page layout just right
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:48:05 -0700

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 21:53 +1100, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 07:46:16AM +1100, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:00:17PM +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's strange! And it's
> > nothing recent either---it's been a problem since I first put the
> > score together, which seems to be four years ago.
> >
> > I've uploaded a score with annotate-spacing
> > on. http://web.netcall.com.au/horsburgh/Downloads/entertainer-annotated.pdf
> >
> > I've tried that before, but I couldn't really make head or tail of
> > it. The numbers tell me what I can already see, but they don't give me
> > many clues as to why they're changing.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >

> Okay, I've had a closer look at the annotated score (
> http://web.netcall.com.au/horsburgh/Downloads/entertainer-annotated.pdf )
>
> It seems that the property I want to control is 'Y-extent'. That is
> the distance from the highest point of the highest elemnt of the top
> staff to the lowest point of the lowest element of the bottom staff.
> This number is quite different on each page.
>
> However, there are two other numbers which stand out as possibly
> relevant. They are staff-refpoint-extent and extent-estimate.
>
> staff-refpoint-extent goes from the middle line of the top staff to
> the middle line of the Bb Bass staff. For some reason it misses the
> percussion staff (presumably because it's a DrumStaff and not a
> Staff?)
>
> extent-estimate is less clear. I've got no real idea what it does, and
> it does something quite different on each page. In every case it seems
> to start at the height of the highest element on the highest staff,
> but goes down an apparently arbitrary distance. In some cases it goes
> centimetres below the bottom staff, yet in others it only goes down as
> far as the fourth-to-bottom staff. The length of the line itself is
> different on every page.

This might be a bug in extent-estimate in that it's only showing the
estimated extent before the systems are stretched. But that doesn't
explain why page 4 is stretched so much more than page 3, even though
page 3 has so much space left. Could you send me the file so I can have
a poke around?

By the way, extent-estimate is, as the name suggests, an estimate of the
Y-extent. It is used for page breaking, because calculating the actual
Y-extent of every possible configuration would take way too much time.

Joe