Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 00:39:28 +0100

Hallo. Me again, this time with a navbar suggestion.

The first time I saw the navbar it seemed rather indigestible - so much text to read. But I did understand that the square brackets were indicating buttons. The second time was after visiting help, where I came to see that, for me at any rate, if you paid attention to the arrow heads, you didn't have to read all the text each time. And then I puzzled about the layout: [Up] seemed to be rather like [<<] and [>>], but it wasn't placed on their level. I supposed that was because you really needed three levels to hint at the destinations, i.e. [Top] [<<] [Up ] [>>]

[< ]             [ >]

and this had been squashed together to save space:

[<<]    [Top]    [>>]

[< ]    [Up ]    [ >]

So there wasn't very much you could do about it, because [Top]'s destination was obviously higher than [Up]'s destination.

But recently I have come to see that it is not quite like that. The group [Top][Contents][Index][?] is a mixed bag: - [Index] goes in exactly the opposite direction to [Top] - [Contents] and [?] head off into Metaland - and [Top] might well have been less vertical e.g. [<<<]. So I think this group is pretty neutral as regards destination, and propose:

Swap the [Top] and [Up] groups in the navbar.

This is accompanied by two adjustments:
- replace [Up] with [^]
this extends the signpost motif to a (squashed) compass rose motif, making the arrow heads that much more effective. - rename [Top] to the more neutral [Start] (as currently used in the tocpane tooltip text) Navbar.png shows an example of the result:

Cheers,
Robin