Re: Problem with grace note on first beat of first bar

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: Problem with grace note on first beat of first bar
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 07:45:18 +0000

I only glanced at your PDF output but I suspect you've hit a known issue and there is a workaround. See:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Special-rhythmic-concerns#Grace-notes

Scroll down to "Known issues and warnings." There are examples there concerning repeat bars and grace notes. I think that clef changes likely lead to this problem as well.

Hope this helps,

David

Peter Wright wrote:
Hi all,

I've run into an interesting problem - it's strange enough that I'm
starting to suspect it might be an actual bug (though the odds are
still probably in favour of me misunderstanding something).

Here's a two-bar illustration of the problem - first, with an empty
bar and then acciaccatura (grace note) to "normal" note:

http://flooble.net/~pete/lilypond/leading-grace-note-good.ly
http://flooble.net/~pete/lilypond/leading-grace-note-good.pdf

All seems fine.

Then see what happens if you swap the two bars around:

http://flooble.net/~pete/lilypond/leading-grace-note-bad.ly
http://flooble.net/~pete/lilypond/leading-grace-note-bad.pdf

Ye gods. <wry grin>

Can anyone suggest a workaround here? Is there some special-case
incantation you need for a "leading" grace note?

In section 6.5.7 in the manual:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Grace-notes#Grace-notes

...there's an example of a leading grace note that *seems* to work
(see the bit just after the text "will introduce special typesetting
settings"), but I can't reproduce that in a way that *actually* works.

Here's my closest approximation, following the 6.5.7 example even
though I can see no reason it'd make any difference:

http://flooble.net/~pete/lilypond/leading-grace-note-still-bad.ly
http://flooble.net/~pete/lilypond/leading-grace-note-still-bad.pdf

...and it doesn't. D'oh. :-(

I welcome any pointer if I've missed some crucial detail in the
documentation, or even a pointer to a Lilypond score that somehow
manages to do this correctly.

Thanks,

Pete.