Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?

From: Bailey James E.
Subject: Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 18:42:34 +0100

Am 03.11.2008 um 16:35 schrieb Toine Schreurs:

Redundancy is not the solution.
To which problem?

Yes, in general, repetition is a good
technique to become familiar with something unknown. The first read gives
questionmarks, the second one gives the Aha's.

But it is almost impossible to maintain documentation if the information
is somehow duplicated over different locations.
I agree that the official lilypond documentation should really be a place to introduce, explain and show examples of lilypond's syntax.

The adagium "Single Point Of Information" is much more important than
Redundancy, especially for rapid-changing programs like Lilypond.
I think that's more reliant on what information is trying to be communicated. If the goal is to have a source of documentation for the program, then certainly, one point of information is best, if the goal is to communicate to as many users as possible how the syntax works, and how it can be used, then there can be no maximum source of information. I think it's necessary, however, to differentiate between the official documentation, which is part of the maintained lilypond project, and any other sources of tips and tricks that can be incorporated into the documentation (viz, LSR), but are separately maintained.