Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:41:31 -0800

On 2008-11-03 at 11:25, Laura Conrad wrote:

"David" == David Rogers <address@hidden> writes:

David> Perhaps every time the bugs list is mentioned anywhere, it should come
David> with a notice "The bugs list is for the Lilypond programmers only. For
David> any kind of help with the software, please write to [link to user
David> list]".

David> I know, that part about programmers is perhaps not strictly 100% true,
David> but it's what newbies should hear.

I disagree.  Reporting bugs has nothing to do with programming.

How about:

The bugs list is for experienced lilypond users to report
malfunctions in the software.  If you're having trouble learning
to use the software, you can get help on the lilypond-user list.

The new user's answer to this is, unfortunately, "I'm not having trouble learning to use it at all - it simply won't run! This is most certainly a bug!"

Your text, while strictly true and strictly the correct thing to write, is in fact misleading in this very strange case.

David