Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:28:30 +0100

Thanks for all suggestions and ideas. However, I think that the main
answer to my initial question was given by Valentin in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-11/msg00048.html

For us who follow the bug mailing list, it's not a problem to answer
these questions, but it's a bit annoying for the poor
newcomer that she/he has to receive a "next time you have a usage
question, please use the lilypond-user mailing list instead".
I don't really see the point of linking to the bug mailing list
on the installation web page. Also, I'm not sure that title "Packager"
of the right-most column is the most relevant.

For people who have found the information about all the different
mailing lists, I think it's not any major problem to figure out which
one to use.

  /Mats

Quoting Laura Conrad <address@hidden>:

"David" == David Rogers <address@hidden> writes:

   David> Perhaps every time the bugs list is mentioned anywhere, it
should come
   David> with a notice "The bugs list is for the Lilypond
programmers only. For
   David> any kind of help with the software, please write to [link to user
   David> list]".

   David> I know, that part about programmers is perhaps not strictly
100% true,
   David> but it's what newbies should hear.

I disagree.  Reporting bugs has nothing to do with programming.

How about:

   The bugs list is for experienced lilypond users to report
   malfunctions in the software.  If you're having trouble learning
   to use the software, you can get help on the lilypond-user list.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

G.P. 7: Never despise a drink because it is easy to make and/or uses
commercial mixes.  Unquestioning devotion to authenticity is, in any
department of life, a mark of the naïve -- or worse.

Kingsley Amis, _On Drink_