Re: The behavior of a \score block

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: The behavior of a \score block
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 20:52:17 +0100

2008/11/4 Dany <address@hidden>:

> I've read Lilypond's documentation, and something has been bothering me: what
> is
> a \score block? I mean what does it actually do? For instance, what is the
> difference between entering a \score block and writing \new Score? I haven't
> found anything about it in the documentation except concerning its use within
> markup expression.

A \score block is a top-level expression, like \book or \paper.

A \score block may include its own \header or a \layout block, whereas
\new Score won't allow you to do so.

> Besides, it seems that this \score block is delimited with braces, but when
> you
> want to enter music inside, you have to put a music expression inside the
> block,
> with braces once again. Is this correct?

\score does not automatically create contexts (whereas \new Score
does) ; therefore you have to create one inside it.

{ c } is equivalent to \new Score {  \new Staff {  \new Voice { c } } }

> And one more question: are commands such as \new Staff { c d e f } considered
> as
> single music expressions, just like \relative c' {c d e f}?

Yes. Anything can be regarded as a "single" music expression (even if
it contains nested sub-expressions), see the Wagner example in the
docs.

Cheers,
Valentin