RE: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?

From: Ed Ardzinski
Subject: RE: Why do so many newcomers post to bug-lilypond?
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 22:12:31 +0000

>  Regarding those newbies who are looking for a GUI:
>  Why don't we publish a screenshot or two?

With regards to the many very-valid-varied comments, maybe should be a "gallery" of how people do work with LP?  I personally use my own editor, and surely see different screen shots than probably everybody!  I'm sure I could provide a cool shot of TWO Windows DOS screens!

Seriously - I saw a link to a jEdit/Lilypond Tool page in this thread, and it showed me a lot I'd never thought about or seen before.  From my Microsoft/PC perspective, shots showing how the files look in several editors seems like a good idea to me.  Certainly I was drawn to Lilypond by finding out how it worked, but it seems that many times you have to beat people "upside the head" with technical instructions any more.  So a lot of pictures might be a good idea, and/or a resource to see/read descriptions of how to work with different tools.

THAT might be a way to get the point across that LP is not only different/better/free but allows you to find the way that works best for your tastes.  Some people might actually LIKE Notepad!!