Re: Lilypond versus … everything else

From: Michael Watts
Subject: Re: Lilypond versus … everything else
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:55:47 +1000

Cordilow wrote:
This isn't a technical question about how to use Lilypond, but rather I'm
wondering if other programs are capable of doing all that Lilypond can. It
seems like there are quite a lot of things in LilyPond I that I suspect
other programs don't even offer. Is this true?

For instance, can you make analysis brackets in any other program? I.e.
Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore, NoteEdit, ABC, etc.

It's certainly true that Lily's text file approach allows a great deal of control that isn't easy or even possible in other software. E.g. it's reasonably straightforward to make Schenker diagrams with Lily.

http://m.linuxjournal.com/article/8364

Also of interest is frequent list contributor Andrew Hawryluk's comparison of Lily with Finale; there you'll see that Lily's default spacings etc. are a lot better that most "industry standard" programs.

http://www.musicbyandrew.ca/finale-lilypond-1.html