Re: The behavior of a \score block

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: The behavior of a \score block
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:51:30 -0800 (PST)

Valentin Villenave wrote:
> A \score block may include its own \header or a \layout block, whereas
> \new Score won't allow you to do so.
>
> \score does not automatically create contexts (whereas \new Score
> does) ; therefore you have to create one inside it.

Let me get this straight. If I wanted a score-specific header, AND if I wanted
"text marks" on every staff (as in the snippet "Printing marks on every staff":
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Writing-text#Selected-Snippets-35
), I would have to nest a "\new Score { ... }" block (needed to reassign the
engravers) within a "\score" block (needed to get the score-specific header)?

This is not only confusing, but seems needlessly tedious. I agree with Helge;
either we need something in the docs like "When to use \score and when to use
\new Score", or we need some new syntactic sugar. Can "\score" be re-coded to
incorporate the auto-context-creation of "\new Score", or can "\new Score" be
re-coded to allow \header and \layout blocks? Or am I missing something...

Okay, if there's a way to code the example below without
  \score { \new Score { ... } }
please let me know.

- Mark

\score {