Re: textSpanner bound-details on two lines

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: textSpanner bound-details on two lines
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:05:19 +0000

2008/11/6 Eluze <address@hidden>:

> Neil Puttock wrote:
>>
>>> 1. is it possible to keep the right-broken text inside the system
>>
>> #'right-broken #'anchor-alignment = #RIGHT
>>

> this works perfectly and i wonder why it is not the default!

I don't think it would hurt to have this as a default; unless it
throws up any regressions, I'll change it.

>>> 2. if there is only one note left, the spanner line stops on the first
>>> line,
>>> and the right-(broken-) text is printed - probably a bug
>>
>> This is a feature of line spanners, I'm afraid (they are deliberately
>> suppressed after a line break if they end on the first note).
>> Naturally, if you've set #'right-broken #'text, it will always be
>> displayed before a line break.
>>

> i cannot find a reason to do this

I believe it's mainly due to the fact that in some cases, the
left-broken spanner would be too small (e.g., a glissando); though you
could argue that the option should be there if a user wants to
override the default behaviour.

> what would you say about a volta spanner
> that ends on the line before the break when there is still a note to play on
> the next line…?

I'd say LilyPond handles volte OK, since they're not generated using
line-spanner-interface (in such cases, the broken volta extends at
least to the end of the bar).  :)

> are there any workarounds?

Attaching the spanner to a hidden voice is probably the best bet; or
perhaps inserting a hidden note before the real (scaled) end note,
though the note spacing might be unsatisfactory.

>>> 3. can the continuation after the break be aligned with the first note?
>>
>> #'left-broken #'end-on-note = ##t
>>
>> This is hidden away in the internals reference (it's only used for
>> trill spanners).
>>

> perfect! (maybe a small wonderment why it is hidden?!)

It was introduced to fix a spacing bug with trills (where trill
spanners started before the note after a line break), but hasn't made
it into the docs yet
(http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Spanners.html#Spanners).

>>> 4. the end (right) mark seems to be centered on the last note - can i
>>> push
>>> it to the right?
>>
>> #'right #'padding = #-2
>> #'right-broken #'padding = ##f (this has to be set otherwise 'right
>> 'padding applies)
>>

> i could have thought of it, but with all the other problems i got confused…
> now i use a padding of #-1 which fits my needs!

It's understandable that you might find bound-details daunting; there
are several nested properties which influence each other, so it can be
quite confusing.  I guess this is the price to pay for having so much
control over spanners.

Regards,
Neil