Re: Lilypond directions needed Please

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Lilypond directions needed Please
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:54:52 +0100

2008/11/11 Donald Tharp <address@hidden>:

> I went to your site and got the exe file to download to my computer, but
> then the directions given will not install for me.  Thanks,

Greetings,

my guess is that LilyPond has actually been successfully installed on
your computer, but it may not do what you'd expect: LilyPond is a very
specific non-graphical software, that does not open any window, that
doesn't have any button or menu. All it does (and it does it very
well) is take a text file written in a special code, and turn it into
a PDF music score.

These text files must be saved with the .ly extension, and written
using a very simple syntax that describes the content of your music.

Please have a look at some examples in our tutorial:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Tutorial

I hope you'll find that LilyPond is both easy to use and incredibly powerful.

Cheers,
Valentin