Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:47:28 -0600

Tim Slattery wrote:
Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

545 Defect Verified Medium ---- v.villenave LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista Performance fixed_2_11_43
Rob,

Have you checked that it's slow the _second_ time you run a file? It will be slow the first time it runs because it needs to build a font cache, but successive times should not be slow.

On my Vista system, when I invoke Lilypond I get the GNU version
notice, and then.....

it sits for almost 50 seconds, apparently doing NOTHING. Then it wakes
up and processes the file. It's still usable, but it sure slows things
down.

For the sake of testing, I booted into my Vista Home Premium partition and installed the latest Lilypond binary from the download page. I ran a lilypond file once and it took about 90 seconds, then ran it a second time and it took more than 60 seconds. The same file on Linux compiles in less than 2 seconds. Honestly I don't know how anyone uses Vista as their main OS. This is a reasonably powerful laptop less than 6 months old with 2GB of RAM and a dual-core processor. I have all the aero eye candy disabled and it still runs 10x slower than the 8-year-old Gateway box in my office running Ubuntu 8.04. Man. Glad to be back on the Linux side :)

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com