Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista

From: Bailey James E.
Subject: Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:22:43 +0100

Am 12.11.2008 um 21:02 schrieb Jonathan Kulp:

Francisco Vila wrote:
2008/11/12 Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden>:
For the sake of testing, I booted into my Vista Home Premium partition and installed the latest Lilypond binary from the download page. I ran a lilypond file once and it took about 90 seconds, then ran it a second time and it took more than 60 seconds. The same file on Linux compiles in less than 2 seconds. Honestly I don't know how anyone uses Vista as their main OS. This is a reasonably powerful laptop less than 6 months old with 2GB of RAM and a dual-core processor. I have all the aero eye candy disabled and it still runs 10x slower than the 8-year-old Gateway box in my office
running Ubuntu 8.04.  Man.  Glad to be back on the Linux side :)
Added to my FAQ. http://lilypondwiki.tuxfamily.org/index.php? title=FAQ
Any ideas for a better A to this Q?

Your answer has one tip (also mentioned previously in this thread) that I haven't tried--I haven't deleted the fontconfig cache. I'll try to find it, delete, reinstall, and run again to see if it improves performance.

That would slow it down. Lilypond creates the fontconfig cache the first time it runs. Deleting it would mean that lilypond would need to recreate it, thus increasing processing time.

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com