Slides (Was Problems with em dash)

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Slides (Was Problems with em dash)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:21:45 +1100

Well I've got what I want - to indicate move of a finger along the fretboard
without lifting it - by creating a music function to modify a glissando with
padding on the left and right:

slide = #(define-music-function (parser location padleft padright) (number?
number?)
        #{
                \once \override Glissando #'bound-details #'left #'padding =
#$padleft
                \once \override Glissando #'bound-details #'right #'padding
= #$padright
        #})

And then I can have in my score

e'4 e e <a-4> |
<g-2>4. <fs-1>8 e4 \slide #3 #4 <g-3>4\glissando |
<fs-3> e <e b> <ds-4> |

Which shows the move from G to F# in the upper voice in the attached png. To
do the same for the lower voice which contains chords at the point where I
want these indications, I'll guess have to create a hidden voice or voices
to which to attach the glissando.

Nick