Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:19:29 -0600

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Perhaps it's worth investigating if it's a problem that has come back in the most recent development versions or if the solution in version 2.11.43-2 only helped for some users.

Could any of you seeing this problem try to install version 2.11.43-2 from
http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/binaries/mingw/lilypond-2.11.43-2.mingw.exe and see if it has the same problems. It's probably a good idea to remove all files related
to the font cache first, so they don't interfere with the result.

Also, could you confirm if you run with full administrator privileges or as an ordinary user?

   /Mats

I installed version 2.11.43-2 and had exactly the same problem as before. I suppose I uninstalled the previous copy correctly, but it's been several years since I used Windows regularly and don't really know much about how it works. I used the add/remove programs feature of the control panel, chose Lilypond, and clicked "uninstall." The uninstaller ran (took a really long time--is this normal? Like 3-4 minutes, whereas on Linux it's about one second) and it said it was successful. Before I ran the uninstaller I deleted the cache files from the 2.11.63-1 installation.

While Vista does run much slower in general than my Linux machines, I don't think it's the OS slowing Lilypond down in this case. I'm pretty sure there's no virus problems either since I hardly ever connect to the net while on Windows. The fontconfig cache file is definitely being modified each time (rebuilt, I suppose) because the time/date stamp on it changes every time I run a .ly file. I suspect this is the problem but have no idea what to do about it. Is there anything else I should try?

Jon

p.s. BTW Lilypond also runs kind of slow on my Macs, but not nearly as slow as on Vista. It's not slow enough where I'd think there was any real problem.

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com