Re: Absolute newbie: how do I ... ?

From: Joseph Haig
Subject: Re: Absolute newbie: how do I ... ?
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:32:21 +0000

2008/11/12 guysnape <address@hidden>:

> I've just got Lilypond working, I want to use it to print some music reading
> practice sheets for my son who is learning piano. Is it possible to produce
> a page containing the following?
>
> A text instruction (e.g. "Write the note name underneath each note")

I would do this with lilypond-book:

  <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/LilyPond_002dbook>

It is almost certainly possible to do this without lilypond-book but I
have never had reason to do it so I don't know how.

> A staff with notes on it with an underscore character or two exactly under
> each note (I guess treating them as lyrics), leaving sufficient space for
> the letter name to be written.

I haven't tried it, but you should be able to do this with lyrics.
The only slight complication is that - and _ are special characters
and I don't know how you would display a dash underneath a note rather
than between syllables.  It might work if you put them in quotes - eg:

\addlyrics { "_" "_" "_" "_" }

> Another text instruction ("Put the correct note above each letter")
>
> A blank staff with letter names evenly spaced underneath (or between the
> treble and bass staves).

I think this will do what you want:

  <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Hidden-notes>

The hidden notes will be treated as any other notes, so you can add
the names underneath as lyrics.

Hope this helps,

Joe