Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:43:13 -0000

Simon Dahlbacka wrote Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:59 PM

The problem is that the problem is often hard to diagnose and
reproduce without having the afflicted machine at hand.  In general,
my takeaway from it is that shipping software on top of Windows is a
religious experience. You can never be sure that it works, so you have
to pray a lot.

Fwiw, one way to diagnose on an affected machine is to have process monitor
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) running
while performing the problematic operation.

This is certainly an impressive program monitor!

After that, it is "just" a matter of wading through a humongous amont of log
messages :)

It's not so bad - there's a very capable filtering aid available.

I can see what happens on a system that's working correctly,
but I don't have access to an afflicted system at the moment.

Trevor