Re: Lighter appearance

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: Lighter appearance
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:32:59 +0100

On 14.11.2008 (16:20), Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
> On 11/14/08 2:27 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I agree -- are you sure the top line isn't from Finale or
> > something?  It looks incredibly bad.  WTF is up with the gap
> > between the sixteenth and eighth in the second bar from the end?!
> > LilyPond would *not* produce that.
>
> The note spacing in Johan's sample is dramatically different (worse) than in
> my LilyPond output.

I assume that the bad spacing in the top example was due to some
wide-syllable lyrics which were not included in the image?

Other than that, I think the head to head comparison proves with all the
clarity one could desire how superior Lilypond's output is to its rivals'.
That music typesetting is not just about joining dots. Tastes may differ,
but the Sibelius sample looks like something from a first-grade piano
manual with its oversized noteheads -- almost like setting a whole text in
helvetica capitals. Finale has -- apart from its abhorrable spacing --
these ultra-thin hairlines which makes it look like something that is set
by a computer...

That said, I sometimes think the lilypond defaults are a bit to the heavy
side. Especially the final barlines come to mind. As a future feature, it
wouldn't be a bad idea with an alternative set of lighter settings which could
be
turned on with a \layout or \paper option.

Eyolf

--
I know the answer!  The answer lies within the heart of all mankind!
The answer is twelve?  I think I'm in the wrong building.