[SOLVED] Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: [SOLVED] Re: LilyPond is excessively slow on Windows Vista
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:52:21 -0600

(SOLVED for me, at least. See below...)

Neil Puttock wrote:
Hi Jon,

What happens if you untick `Automatically adjust clock for daylight
saving changes'?

I haven't had any problems even though my cache was created in April,
but forcing a rebuild results in the same delay you're experiencing
every time unless the automatic clock adjustment is turned off for the
first run.

Regards,
Neil

This did it, Neil! I unchecked the daylight savings box and reinstalled Lilypond after wiping out the old cache (not sure if these steps were necessary but I wanted to start out fresh), and after the first run, the cache was NOT rebuilt again. The difference in speed between Vista and Ubuntu compiling a lilypond file is now negligible, measured in fractions of a second instead of minutes. Perhaps this tip should be posted somewhere official, as a warning on the download page for installing on Vista or maybe on Valentin's FAQ page? It's beyond my abilities to figure out how to keep this from happening, but for now at least it's an easy workaround.

What I have not tried is re-checking the automatic daylight-savings adjustment box to see if it reverts to the old behavior of always rebuilding the fontconfig cache. If you'd like me to do this for the sake of testing, I will.

Glad to put this one to rest :)

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp