Re: confused about transposing from treble clef to bass clef

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: confused about transposing from treble clef to bass clef
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:39:11 -0600

chip wrote:
Amazing how this whole conversation got so blown apart.

That happens sometimes...

melody=, song=, notes= ..... \relative .....
\score {
   \new Staff \melody, song, notes .....whatever was above
   \layout {}
   \midi {}
}

My original question was about the transpose option and the reply from Jonathan was probably accurate and usable, but I didn't know where, in the above layout, to put the \transpose bit. I tried it in many

So I still don't know, "is it working yet?"! I think my response first thing this morning should have worked if it didn't get buried in your inbox with the flurry of other emails. Where you have this line in your \score block:

\new Staff \melody

put the transpose command like this:

\new Staff \transpose c ef,, { \melody }

I definitely understand the way Lilypond can be overwhelming and confusing, since I come to it as a composer and musicologist who had never seen a line of any kind of code until I started using Lilypond. I'd suggest going carefully through the Tutorial in the Learning Manual (the new one, for version 2.11.63), as it's very well done and introduces you to most of the concepts you need. It's done in a thorough and logical manner, with one concept leading to the next, and is probably the best way to get going. I'm fairly experienced now but I still find useful bits in the learning manual all the time.

Best,

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp