Re: Lighter appearance

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Lighter appearance
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:08:08 -0800

On 2008-11-14 at 08:09, Johan Vromans wrote:

Hi,

While comparing the LilyPond gegerated output with the output of a
competitor program, I noticed that the LP outout is much 'heavier'.

See e.g., http://www.squirrel.nl/pub/xfer/lilsib.jpg .

The top line is from LilyPond, the bottom line is from a Sibelius
printout. I think the larger noteheads in combination with the thinner
lines make the score easier to read.

Is there a set of settings to make LP output lighter? Setting
line-thickness = \staff-space / 16

seems a good start, but I assume there's more to it.

If you look at a good score of anything that was printed before the time of computers, you can see that Lilypond looks 'almost like real music', and Sibelius looks 'like a computer' and 'not like real music'.

I suggest that if it’s difficult to read you should just increase the staff size - which will simply make everything bigger.

David