Re: Lighter appearance

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Lighter appearance
Date: 18 Nov 2008 19:12:44 +0100

David Rogers <address@hidden> writes:

> If you look at a good score of anything that was printed before the
> time of computers, you can see that Lilypond looks 'almost like real
> music', and Sibelius looks 'like a computer'

This does not necessarily mean that old scores look better than new
scores. Modern digital technology provides possibilities that were
not feasible with old printing techniques.

And no, this does not necessarily mean that new printing look better
than old printing, either. As anyone who has seen books typeset in
14pt Times Roman can confirm...

I like the way LilyPond does it, but sometimes I'd like it slightly
better when it would be just a little bit lighter. Just a personal
taste.

(My main fonts for typesetting are Garamond Light and Helvetica Light,
so probably I'm a Light person.)

Okay, back to our regular schedule of beautifully typesetting
beautiful music.

-- Johan