Figured bass

From: northofscotland
Subject: Figured bass
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:00:08 -0800 (PST)

I am not a keyboard player but transcribe recorder music with the bc
accompaniment from time to time.  One of the objectives is to give myself a
midi bass accompaniment.

Is there a (reasonably) simple way of converting the figured bass either
directly to midi (which I think is not the case) or to convert it into a
more conventional chorded notation and hence to a midi.

My understanding of figured bass in practice is fairly minimal and it would
take me for ever to convert it manually (I would probably understand it more
afterwards, though!).

Any advice would be welcome, Thanks.