Re: More vertical space between staves

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: More vertical space between staves
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:41:34 -0600

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

Only problem is that there is too little vertical space between the
staves/lines. How do I increase that (and add more space at the top)? As
a purely academical question I was wondering why lilypond will give an
error warning even though the document is fine? This is the lilypond output:

To get more space, add the following line to your \paper{} block.

between-system-space = 6\cm

(This is described in the Notation Reference section 4.4.2 Vertical spacing
between systems)

I'd also recommend adding

indent = 0

to your \paper{} block; I think it's much more appealing for this type of
layout.

I was going to recommend the same thing. Here's what I added to make it more to my taste as well:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Bar_number_engraver"

This gets rid of the measure numbers. So the whole \score block looks like this:

\score {
  <<
    \new FretBoards {
      \override FretBoard #'fret-diagram-details #'open-string = #" "
      \override FretBoard #'fret-diagram-details #'fret-count = #6
        \chordmode {
          \repeat unfold 20 { c''2 c''2 }
    \context Staff {
      \repeat unfold 5 {s1 s1 s1 s1 \break}
      \bar "|."
    }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \remove "Bar_number_engraver"

To get more space at the top, you could add some title block elements as
" ", which won't show but will take up space.  For example, you could add
(in your \header{} block):

     title = " "
     subtitle = " "
     composer = " "
     arranger = " "

Funny, I tried this (after Risto showed me how to use the same thing with my LyricExtender problem) and it didn't make any difference in the space at the top. I don't mind the spacing as is, though.

This is a cool template.  Thanks guys,

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp