Re: percent repeat glyph

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: percent repeat glyph
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:38:15 +0000

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 01:17:27AM +0000, Neil Puttock wrote:
> I think the best option is to make the kerning settings tweakable.
> In fact, there's a TODO in the source suggesting this.
>
> I've just submitted a patch for review; attached is some sample output.

I updated my source and had a play with it last night, and it's great. I
had a quick look through some commercial parts to see what they looked
like, and most of those I looked at had handwritten-look percent marks.
It seems a bit odd to me, and out of keeping with the rest of the part,
but I expect someone will ask for them eventually.

Anyway, after trying a few settings, I stuck with slope 1.25,
dot-negative-kern 0.6. I attach some sample output, which I'm sure the
copyright owner won't recognise :-) On reflection, I think making them a
bit more vertical looks better than just moving the dots inward. I like
these settings so much more I'd like to request the defaults be changed,
if there's consensus.

Thanks for making this change so quickly.

--
I can blink the lights and cat you files full of sad things, We can play
XPilot just for two,  I can serenade and gently play all your ogg files,