Re: Lyrics

From: fiëé visuëlle
Subject: Re: Lyrics
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:12:51 +0100

Am 2008-11-24 um 16:18 schrieb Tim Slattery:

Last weekend I was entering a song into Lilypond. It's four parts,
SATB, and has two verses. The verses scan very slightly differently.
There is a measure in the music where there are two slurred halfnotes.
In one verse, one syllable is stretched over both half-notes. The
other verse has an extra syllable, so there's a separate syllable for
each halfnote.

Lilypond's ability to match lyrics with music is absolutely fantastic,
but it apparently doesn't handle this scenario. I wound up having one
verse matched automatically, and assigning a duration to *every*
syllable in the other verse. I'm wondering whether I missed something
that would have let me say "do the automatic match, but in this
measure do it this way".

For only a few places you could
- include two syllables of the "longer" verse in quotes
- insert an empty syllable (space in quotes) in the shorter verse

I'm sure there are more (and better) solutions, but this is easy ;-)

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm