Re: page-turn-breaking horizontal spacing

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: page-turn-breaking horizontal spacing
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:31:58 -0800

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 00:12 +0000, Neil Puttock wrote:
> 2008/11/24 Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:
>
> > It's a little hard to tell without an example, but it sounds like
> > lilypond is refusing to give things more space because that would make
> > for a bad page turn. The page-turn-breaking function treats the
> > page-turns with higher priority than anything else, even if the
> > horizontal spacing is really bad. However, it should still use the
> > horizontal spacing settings to choose a good configuration. Does adding
> > \allowPageTurn in appropriate places help?
>
> Should the Page_turn_engraver be \consist-ed when using
> ly:page-turn-breaking?  Though it's not mentioned in the docs, all the
> relevant regtests include it, and having tested it myself, the spacing
> variables seem to work fine so long as the engraver's included.

The purpose of the Page_turn_engraver is to automatically insert
\applyPageTurn in appropriate places. You will want either to use
Page_turn_engraver or to manually specify where page turns are allowed.
It's been a while since I looked at those docs, but I'm pretty sure this
is mentioned somewhere.

Joe