Re: How to make note spacing disregard lyrics

From: Till
Subject: Re: How to make note spacing disregard lyrics
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 05:46:51 -0800 (PST)

A good question. I am not familiar with Gregorian settings but in old
mensural sheet music prints the lyrics are quite approximately placed, often
with some abbr. signs to shorten the -um or -us of word endings. And they
are mostly not devided into syllables, only at places where there is an
especial wide melisma.

The first thought I had was: just keep it independently of the notes. There
is the defnull solution in the vocal section of NR2, which has a comment
though, stating: "conclusion: do not use defnull context" :-)

Because it is so an important issue to me, this approach would it still make
possible to use the same identifiers for old and new edition: in one
\score-setup you make have them independent contexts, in the other you
connect them as usual.

But this is just a workaround, not a solution. It has been stated many times
that the spacing is not really working for ancient: it is too much built on
the assumption that a note takes space according to its duration and not
only according to its real extent.

Maybe Joe has an answer...

Greetings
till