Re: Just chords and lyrics.

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Just chords and lyrics.
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:15:10 -0600

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
Jon,

If you take away the Staff from strk's example, and do it the way I had my
original, you'll have just what you want.

The score should contain:

<<
  \new ChordNames {
    \myChords
  }
  \new Devnull = "Melody" {
    \myMelody
  }
  \new Lyrics {
     \lyricsto "Melody" \myMelody
  }

Try my second example (the first one was broken).

Carl

Yes, this works, but it only confirms my belief that someone who wants this really would be better off with a word processor or GuitarTeX. The spacing looks awful without a staff, not at all the sort of thing you normally see in a songbook of this type. (If the staff is present, at least the spacing makes sense because you can see where the words are supposed to fall inside the measures.) The output of GuitarTeX looks exactly like a lyrics/chordnames songsheet is supposed to look, so I would recommend pointing people to that instead of trying to make Lilypond do it. Maybe we should put an example in the docs anyway, though. I suppose at the very least it would show people how to do it and it wouldn't come up on the list anymore (or we'd have a place to direct them when it did). Maybe we could do one example with a blank staff and one without any staff at all?

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com