Re: \partial problem?

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: \partial problem?
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 18:47:58 -0600

Jay Hamilton wrote:
Hello- I'm using 2.10 on windoze
And I figured out a solution but not sure that it's the only or best one.
Problem, I'm setting/arranging a sonata for a duet.  The first movement begins
on the beat the 2nd movement begins with a \partial 8
The third movement begins on the beat.
I checked the docs for 2.10 under repeats and partials and there's no
information on how to deal with the end of the 2nd movement and the beginning
of the 3rd, for my case.
I ended up using a skip8 at the end before repeat of the 2nd movement. Is this the best way to do this? I don't want to get into book or such and prefer for my students to just flow from one movement to the next.

If this is 'the' way to deal with such a problem something (and perhaps it is
in the new docs) should be mentioned or explained as it took me a while to
figure out what was wrong.

Yours-
Jay

Jay Hamilton
www.soundand.com
206-328-7694

If I were you I'd separate the movements of the sonata into different files and use a master file to assemble them. I think this would solve the problem of the \partial instances because you wouldn't be trying to make a transition from one movement to another in the same file, and it's also easier to organize. So you'd have a master file that looks something like this:

\version "2.10.33"

\header {
}

\paper {
}

\include "firstmovement.ly"
\include "secondmovement.ly"
\include "thirdmovement.ly"

Keep all the files in the same directory and it'll work fine.  HTH,

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com