Problem with trying to create parts

From: Peter Newton
Subject: Problem with trying to create parts
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:11:48 -0800 (PST)

I am a new user of Lilypond.  I am trying to follow the instructions for
creating a score and parts found in the Templates section of the user manual
on page 327 (or page 336 of the PDF version, going by the page count in
Adobe Reader).  I have searched for a previous post about the problem I am
having in this forum but without success.  Sorry if I have missed something
and am repeating this question.

The procedure specified is to take the sample code and split it into several
files, including a "piece.ly" file which is referenced in all the other
files.  However, when I try to do this and run the resulting files through
Lilypond, the log files all say the "piece.ly" file can't be found.  All the
files are in the same directory.  Various other errors are found, mostly to
do with the word "tag" in the individual files, but I suspect that these are
due to the missing "piece.ly" file.  I would be happy to receive any
suggestions or to privide further information about the error messages and
so on.  But until the program can find the "piece.ly" file, nothing else
seems worth pursuing.

I have successfully created other input files without any "include"
commands.  Thanks for any help.

Peter Newton