Re: unfold and tremolo have different math

From: Toine Schreurs
Subject: Re: unfold and tremolo have different math
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 00:40:22 +0100 (MET)

> Sorry, cut off. How does this apply \times 2/3 { c8 c c} \times 2/3
> {c c c} \times 2/3 {c c c} is 9 repetitions of the note c, expressed
> as a tremolo, this should be \repeat tremolo 9 \times 2/3 {c8}

As I understand it, there is no way to make a single tremolo note
with a duration of 9/8, because this (single) note cannot be expressed
with plain and dottes notes.
What kind of musical notation do you expect to get from this 9/8 note?

\repeat tremolo 2 c8 prints a quarter note
\repeat tremolo 3 c8 prints a dotted quarter note
\repeat tremolo 4 c8 prints a half note
\repeat tremolo 5 c8 is illegal
\repeat tremolo 6 c8 prints a dotted half note
\repeat tremolo 7 c8 prints a double dotted quarter note
\repeat tremolo 8 c8 prints a whole note
\repeat tremolo 9 c8 is illegal
\repeat tremolo 10 c8 is illegal
\repeat tremolo 11 c8 is illegal
\repeat tremolo 12 c8 prints a dotted whole note
\repeat tremolo 13 c8 is illegal
\repeat tremolo 14 c8 prints a double dotted whole note
\repeat tremolo 15 c8 prints a triple dotted whole note

The illegal notes are accepted, but the rendering is at least peculiar.

Toine