Re: another newbie download problem

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: another newbie download problem
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 05:44:04 -0600

Meow and Quack wrote:
When I type

address@hidden:~ lilypond filename.ly I (obviously) get an error saying

warning, cannot find file: 'lilypond.ly'
error: failed files "lilypond.ly"

what is the "source file?"  Where can i find it?  Is that the
lilypond-2.11.65-1.linux-x86.sh ?

Thank you for your time and help!

PRS

On 12/8/08, Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden> wrote:
Pierre Russell Straddler wrote:
Francisco Vila <paconet.org <at> gmail.com> writes:

2008/12/8 Pierre Russell Straddler <pleaseandthankingyou <at> gmail.com>:
the cd ~/Desktop
sudo lilypond-2.10.33.-1.linux-x86.sh

still didn't work.  I get the error

"Can't open lilypond-2.10.33.-1.linux-x86.sh"
Those filenames plenty of dashes and dots are almost impossible to
type correctly, please do the following:

- forget 2.10 and download 2.11.65, the latest candidate to stable
release.
- when gedit tries to open it, choose "save file" instead just like
you did before.
- move to where the file is and type
sudo sh lilyp
then press the [TAB] key. This should auto-complete the filename. If
it is not fully auto-completed (maybe because you still have 2.10 in
the directory), it should stop at lilypond-2.1, then just write
another '1' and press TAB again.
excellent.  I believe it worked...  Yaaay!  Thank you.  But because I am
new to
linux, I am looking for an "icon" to double click, and sadly am not
finding it.
 I can see it in the /usr/local/bin...it's there with a number of other
obviously lilypond related documents.

does lilypond need to be opened from the terminal (shell?)--and if so, uh,
how
do you do that again?

(newbie.)

thank you!

Pierre Russell Straddler

Yes, on Linux you run Lilypond from the command line.  You don't really
"open" it, though, you just compile plain text files with it like so:

address@hidden:~$ lilypond filename.ly

(where lilypond is the command and filename.ly is your source file)

To make sure it's installed correctly you can type the following:

lilypond --version

If it's installed properly then you should get a message saying which
version is installed and that Lilypond is free software, etc.

What you should do next is go carefully through the Tutorial in the
Learning Manual for version 2.11.65 (even if you're running 2.10.33, use
the newer documentation as it's much better) here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/index

This will get you going quickly enough.  Good luck,

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com

You have to make your own source for a musical score. Really, you need to read the Tutorial and this will explain everything. Just to get you started, save the attached file "beaming.ly" to your desktop. Then type these commands:

cd ~/Desktop

  lilypond beaming.ly

Once it's done, type this:

  evince beaming.pdf