Re: revisited: vertical spacing issues v2.11.59

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: revisited: vertical spacing issues v2.11.59
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:01:45 +0100

[Fwd-ing to the mailing list]

2008/12/11 Didi & MiMi Kanjahn <address@hidden>:
> Hi Valentin,

Greetings,

> I am still a bit frustrated with the automatic spacing of Lilypond.
> I wish I could have a bit more control over it. Most of these problems would
> be fine when creating just a sheet for one hymn or song, but when you want to
> create a songbook with 160 of them you want to pack them rather a bit tighter
> to save pages. Sometimes I can see that the last staff could fit on the
> buying an Adobe suit, hoping that it might be able to edit the .pdf files in
> this way. Corel Draw X4 failed to be able to interpret the Lilypond .pdf
> files correctly.

I certainly hope you will not have to edit the PDF files!
Have you tried using \noPageBreak?
See
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Page-breaking.html

In the latest version (2.11.65) there's a new \bookpart feature that
could help you as well;
See at the bottom of the following page:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Multiple-scores-in-a-book.html

Each \bookpart { } block can have its own \paper {} block, and
therefore you can specify different parameters (different values for
between-system-padding, etc).
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Page-formatting.html

Finally, if \markup \null gives you too much space, you can use
Nicolas Sceaux's \vspace command:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=368

Just paster the following definition in your file:

#(define-markup-command (vspace layout props amount) (number?)
  "This produces a invisible object taking vertical space."
  (let ((amount (* amount 3.0)))
    (if (> amount 0)
        (ly:make-stencil "" (cons -1 1) (cons 0 amount))
        (ly:make-stencil "" (cons -1 1) (cons amount amount)))))

... Then you can have

\markup \vspace #3

\markup \vspace #0.3

or even

\markup \vspace #-3

if you want a "negative" space!

I'm certain you will eventually find how to obtain the correct output.

Cheers,
Valentin