Re: spacer notes

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: spacer notes
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:49:27 +0100

Am Samstag, 13. Dezember 2008 21:18:04 schrieb chip:
> I don't fully understand the issues that spacer notes cause, below are a
> couple examples.
>
> This example of 3 measures of music with a glissando in the middle of
> them, I think the two notes with the glissando are too close together to
> print a decent looking zigzag glissando -
>
> d b-. b b-. b b c d
> e4\glissando c r8 e d c-.
> b b-. b c-. a a-. a b
>
> So I want to add a little space between those two notes, thereby making
> the glissando a bit longer and better looking. I tried the code below
> but it just pushes the last 3 eighth notes into the next measure (why?)
> causing major problems -
>
> d b-. b b-. b b c d
> <<e4 {s4\glissando s4} >> c r8 e d c-.

If you look at the << ... >> section, you'll see that you are here doing a
quarter note in parallel with two quarter notes. In particular, the length of
the << ... >> is two quarter notes, thus they remaining notes in the measure
"appear" shifted due to that error. I suppose you rather want:
<< {e4 c} {s4\glissando s4} >> r8 e d c-.

> Yet a similar bit of code works just fine for a decrescendo -
>
>     r2 b4 b8 as
>     << a2. { s4\> s4 s4\! } >> r4

Here the durations of the dotted half note and the three quarter notes
concide...

However, I'm afraid that this issue does not solve you issue of note spacing.
While I also don't have a solution for the spacing problem, you might change
the padding for the glissando, so that it starts closer to the notes. This
way, the zigzag is clearly identifiable:

\relative c'' {
  \override Glissando #'style = #'zigzag
  \override Glissando #'bound-details = #'((right (attach-dir . 0) (padding .
1)) (left (attach-dir . 0) (padding . 1)))
  e4\glissando c r8 e d c-.

Reinhold
- --