error in the manuals

From: chip
Subject: error in the manuals
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:56:37 -0700

I came across the example in the LM 4.4.3 Outside-staff objects that shows placement of some text objects above the staff. In the example the word Slower is shown but when I copy/paste the section from the code behind the picture it does not work as pictured, the word Slower is not appearing in the resulting .pdf. There is a similar example is used in the NR 5.4.5 Spanners - Using the line-spanner-interface.

\override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text)
 = \markup { \small \bold Slower }
c2\startTextSpan b c a\stopTextSpan

(above copy/pasted straight from the NR 5.4.5)

That code does not display the word Slower. I tried it with the word in quotes but it still does not display, the dashes do display, just not the word.

Regards,
--
Chip