Re: Explicit durations in Lyrics behaving strangely

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Explicit durations in Lyrics behaving strangely
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:26:40 +0100

Quoting Peter Chubb <address@hidden>:

Hi,
        I'm trying to use the Adeste Fideles tune from
Mutopia http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=367
I ran convert-ly on it.  It uses explicit durations on the lyrics.  I see
many warnings:

adeste.ly:94:18: warning: Lyric syllable does not have note. Use \lyricsto or associatedVoice.
   A4 -- des2 --
                 te,4 fi -- del2 -- es,

The output looks OK.  Why does Lily care about associated voice, if
all lyrics have explicit durations?

There have been several related discussions on the mailing list. If you compare the output to what you get if you indeed set associatedVoice
or use \lyricsto, is that the horizontal alignment differs.
When LilyPond knows what voice the lyrics is associated with, it uses that information to align the lyrics properly.

  /Mats

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia