Re: Notation Reference typo

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: Notation Reference typo
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:29:30 +0100

On 16.12.2008 (05:14), Graham Percival wrote:

> Yes, lilypond can read strings just fine without the #, but as a
> matter of doc policy, we're supposed to use the # everywhere for
> scheme arguments.

Ugly, ugly. This is one of my main gripes with LP, this damned freedom of
choice which creeps in everywhere and makes everything more complicated,
not easier, because it blurs one's conception of the syntax. So, here, the
#' is optional, whereas elsewhere it isn't. One can leave out everything but
the braces around a music expression -- defaults, defaults everywhere --
but eternal damnation (and a failed file) upon you if you mix the cases
wrongly in a grob property name.

If the '#' isn't needed, why keep it as the thing one has to learn? For
future compatibility? I can understand if a certain unified syntax ('#
before all scheme strings') should be available, for automated tasks, etc,
but I also assume that the optionality of the '#' is there for the benefit
of the user, so is there any good reason why the ordinary, human user
should see the # form at all?

Eyolf

--
(6)     Men employees will be given time off each week for courting
        purposes, or two evenings a week if they go regularly to church.
(7)     After an employee has spent his thirteen hours of labor in the
        office, he should spend the remaining time reading the Bible
        and other good books.
(8)     Every employee should lay aside from each pay packet a goodly
        sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years,
        so that he will not become a burden on society or his betters.
(9)     Any employee who smokes Spanish cigars, uses alcoholic drink
        in any form, frequents pool tables and public halls, or gets
        shaved in a barber's shop, will give me good reason to suspect
        his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.
(10)    The employee who has performed his labours faithfully and
        without a fault for five years, will be given an increase of
        five cents per day in his pay, providing profits from the
        business permit it.
                -- "Office Worker's Guide", New England Carriage Works, 1872