Re: diff music

From: Nick Bailey
Subject: Re: diff music
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:41:20 +0000

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 05:07:33 Mark Polesky wrote:
> CJ Bell wrote:
> > \diff \partA \partB
>
> What an awesome idea! Can anyone figure this one out?
> That would be such a useful tool.
>
> - Mark

Done it... well, something like it :) It's hard, but solvable dynamic
programming problem. Actually, Roger Dannenberg at CM did it years ago, but
depending on what you think "added", "removed" and "different" mean in music,
particularly with chords, you might want to tweek it a bit.

Have a look at chapter 3 of Dougie McGilvray's thesis. It's on our old server:
http://markov.music.gla.ac.uk/CMT_Pages/Publications/Theses/DouglasMcGilvray.pdf
 "Polyphonic
Matching using DP" for the lowdown. I don't think it'd be that easy to
rewrite it to get it running on lilypond files, but not impossible either. He
refers to "score" and "performance", but you could think of the performance
as another score in this context.

Nick/.