Re: Vertical alignment of Chords - Feature / Bug??? Subtle Solution

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Vertical alignment of Chords - Feature / Bug??? Subtle Solution
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:49:38 -0700

On 12/19/08 3:57 AM, "Simon J Mackenzie" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
> After looking through my draft lead sheets I saw this anomaly rearing
> its head again.
>
> TEMPORARY SOLUTION:
> For the words in the preceding lyric line into which the Chord is
> entering I surrounded the nearest preceding word above the chord in
> quotes and added a space to the end of word so that it prevented the
> chord below entering the lyric line. Not ideal but it works.
>
> :-)
>
> I'm sure there must be a better solution. Any suggestions?
> Simon

You should be able to fix this by setting the ChordName grob's
outside-staff-horizontal-padding property.  You can read about this property
in the Notation reference.  You will want to make the value larger.  The
effect of this property is to make the space taken up by the ChordName so
large that it can't fit into spaces in the lyrics line above.

The generic setting would be:

\override ChordNames.ChordName #'outside-staff-horizontal-padding = #10.0

(this setting would add a gap of 10 staff spaces to the width of the
ChordName grob for purposes of determining how closely it can fit into the
music above and below).

If you posted your .ly file, we could test it.  Otherwise, I can just give
generic advice.

Carl