Re: flatten ties ~ proportional notation.

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: flatten ties ~ proportional notation.
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:10:41 +0000

2008/12/21 Rob Canning <address@hidden>:
> Brett Duncan wrote:
>>
>> Rob Canning wrote:
>>>
>>> i was trying to do it with sed with a line like this:
>>>
>>> sed  's/~/\\glissando/' header-inserted > ties-fixed;
>>>
>>> but ran into trouble with all the ^ sybols and so on -
>>
>> I tried this myself and it seems to work fine once add the 'g' flag:
>> 's/~/\\glissando/g'
>>
>> However, horizontal glissandi may coincide with staff lines, so this isn't
>> the best solution in any case.
>>
> i think once they are fattened up they are ok

Yes, I think this is the best solution, since the overridden ties
don't reach the centre of the noteheads, even with 'note-head-gap = 0.

Note however that in replacing ties with glissandi, any broken tie
will be converted to an unbroken glissando, which will change the
system spacing.

For the record, here's the corrected override for TieColumn, in case
anybody finds it useful:

\override TieColumn #'tie-configuration =
 #(lambda (grob)
     (let* ((notehead (ly:grob-parent (ly:grob-original grob) X))
            (y-off (* 2 (ly:grob-property notehead 'Y-offset))))
       (list (cons y-off 0))))

> thanks brett - yes i just figured out last night the ommission in my sed
> command (duh!) - so the solution that seems to work best for me is this:
>
> sed  's/~/\\glissando/g' header-inserted > ties-fixed;

Instead of processing the .ly file externally, you could keep the ties
as they are and use a music function to convert them automatically to
glissandi:

tieToGliss =
#(define-music-function (parser location music)
  (ly:music?)
  (music-map
    (lambda (music)
      (if (eq? (ly:music-property music 'name) 'TieEvent)
        (make-music 'GlissandoEvent)
        music))
    music))

> the new way the #gap is delt with now in 2.11 had me stumped for a couple of
> hours but eventually i figured it out
>
> \override Glissando #'(bound-details left padding) = #0.0
>  \override Glissando #'(bound-details right padding) = #0.0
>  \override Glissando #'minimum-length = #15
>  \override Glissando #'thickness = #4

Don't forget to set 'springs-and-rods too, otherwise 'minimum-length
will have no effect.

Regards,
Neil