Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th

From: chip
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:11:20 -0700

Graham Percival wrote:
On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 11:26:16PM +1100, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 11:49:10PM -0800, Graham Percival wrote:
... I really don't understand this question.  If you already know
how to transpose from C to Bb, why on earth do you need to ask how
to transpose from C to G ?!
He wants it diatonic, so it's not that easy. \transpose c' g {a b c} would produce {e fis g} instead of {e f g}.

Oops, I forgot my first-year theory.  In this case, he'd need to
write a scheme function.  Actually, it wouldn't be hard at all...
this is a perfect intro-level scheme tweak.

I leave it as an exercise for the reader.  Neil, Trevor, Valentin:
please don't give the answer.  :)

Great, that helps a lot. I haven't got a clue what scheme is. I'm a musician, not a programmer. I don't even have years of music theory behind me - I play my instruments and do it well. Programming is for the brainiacs, of which I am not, and I am quite happy with that.
--
Chip

Even then, the extra \relative makes things get very messy:

Then omit it.

melody = {a b c d e f g}

{ \melody \\ { \transpose c' g \melody }}

Cheers,
- Graham