Re: Custom articulations/pitched single-note trills

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Custom articulations/pitched single-note trills
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:11:40 +0000

Hello,

2008/12/21 gnomino <address@hidden>:

> I was wondering if there is a way to create custom articulations, which would
> solve both of my problems? If not, then how should I make the \trillFlats
> above
> appear in line with the \trills? I've tried adjusting #'padding,
> #'staff-padding, and #'minimum-space, none of which seem to have any effect.

The easy way is to override the stencil for Script objects:

\version "2.11.65"
trillFlatMarkup = \markup { \vcenter { \musicglyph #"scripts.trill"
\smaller \flat} }
trillFlat = {
  \once \override Script #'stencil =
    #(lambda (grob)
        (grob-interpret-markup grob trillFlatMarkup))
}

\relative c' { \trillFlat c\trill c\trill \trillFlat c\trill c\trill }

A better way is to make an articulation, then use 'tweak to change its
properties, which means you don't have to use an override before the
articulation:

\version "2.11.65"
trillFlatMarkup = \markup { \vcenter { \musicglyph #"scripts.trill"
\smaller \flat } }
trillFlat =
#(let* ((music (make-articulation "trill"))
        (trill-flat (lambda (grob)
                      (grob-interpret-markup
                        grob
                        trillFlatMarkup))))

  (ly:music-set-property! music 'tweaks
    (acons 'stencil trill-flat
      (ly:music-property music 'tweaks)))
  music)

\relative c' { c\trillFlat c\trill c\trillFlat c\trill }

Regards,
Neil