Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:52:02 -0800

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 06:30:18PM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> Graham,
>
> > > Great, that helps a lot. I haven't got a clue
> > > what scheme is.
> > In that case, may I courteously extend an
> > invitation that you read the bloody Learning
> > Manual?
>
> Please stop the sarcasm and the indecency. If
> you're trying to be funny, it isn't working.

It's a continuation of this email:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-11/msg00439.html

If he doesn't know what scheme is, then he clearly *hasn't* read
the LM cover-to-cover yet.  This means that he's missed some
terminology, missed some of the possibilities of lilypond, and
won't be able to communicate with the lilypond community as
effectively.

> > I leave it as an exercise for the reader. Neil,
> > Trevor, Valentin: please don't give the answer.
>
> What are you doing? Are you trying to turn people
> away from LilyPond?

You seem to be unfamiliar with the phrase "an exercise for the
reader".  The idea is that solving the problem is a useful
exercise.

> There have been 15 replies to Chip's
> original message, and NO ONE has answered it yet.
> This is embarrassing. If it were as easy to the
> rest of us as it obviously is to you, someone
> would have answered it. A user asks a perfectly
> legitimate question, and the response is, "go
> figure it out".

Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish...

> But what you're doing is the opposite of helpful.
> So please, stop. Since it's such an elementary
> exercise, please provide it, now. I assume it'll
> only take a minute. Then we can all learn.

1.  Look at the selected snippets for \transpose.  There's an
example that's very close to what he wants.

2.  Look at
  { \displayMusic { a ais d dis } }
to get some info about how lilypond treats pitches.  The idea is
to write a function that translates "a ais" into "d dis".

3.  Modify the existing example so that instead of producing notes
with few accidentals, it changes the notename by the desired
interval.

- Graham