Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th

From: chip
Subject: Re: question about transposing an interval of a 4th
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:09:42 -0700

Mark Polesky wrote:
Graham Percival wrote:
1. Look at the selected snippets for \transpose. There's an example that's very close to what he wants.

I disagree.

That example modifies the enharmonic spelling of notes in an already transposed section. We're looking for a function to transpose each note individually by the appropriate interval determined by its scale-
degree within a specfied tonality.

input: \relative c' { \key c \major c4 d e f g a b c }

output:
  \relative c' { \key c \major g4 a b c d e f g }

2.  Look at
  { \displayMusic { a ais d dis } }
to get some info about how lilypond treats pitches. The idea is to write a function that translates "a ais" into "d dis".

Not at all. The idea is to write a function that, given the key of C major, translates "a b" into "e f".

3. Modify the existing example so that instead of producing notes with few accidentals, it changes the notename by the desired interval.

How is this helpful? This reminds me of the Monty Python skit on how to play the flute: "You blow there and you move your fingers up and down here." Besides, this doesn't account for the fact that different notes will need to be transposed by different intervals.

If you cannot, or will not, describe what you actually want, it's very difficult to help you.

He already has! He clearly stated that he wants to transpose music down a 4th, diatonically:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-12/msg00557.html
If you don't know what diatonic means, look it up!

So far, the only post that offers promise is from John:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-12/msg00591.html
Thanks Mark,
I read that post and it just went in one ear and out the other, figuratively speaking, ehm, writing. When I see technical stuff like that my eyes start to go blurry and I just kind of gaze at it, not understanding a word of it. I'm sure some of the guys smarter about such things understood what he wrote.
--
chip
but the programming is too tricky for me.

So John, if you get a chance to flesh this out, that would be awesome.

Thanks.
- Mark