Re: Separate page numbering in separate book parts?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Separate page numbering in separate book parts?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:22:38 -0800

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 09:36:09PM +0100, Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
> Le 4 d?c. 08 ? 12:52, Graham Percival a ?crit :
>
>>> With the new book parts feature, is it possible to restart the page
>>> numbering for each book part.
>>
>> Surprisingly,
>>  \paper{ first-page-number = #1 }
>> doesn't do this!
>
> Indeed, first-page-number is only read for the first book part, then
> it is set for the following ones to
>  previous-book-part-last-page-number + 1.
>
> It is possible to accomplish what you are asking by changing the page
> header formatting markup, as is demonstrated in the following example.
> Do you think that using this hack is enough? or should I change the code
> so that first-page-number should be read, when defined, for all book
> parts? (I have no idea what side effect that would cause, except
> confusing \label:s and tables of contents)

I think that first-page-number should be read when defined.  As
long as this doesn't cause \label and ToC to segfault, I wouldn't
worry about it printing bad page numbers in the ToC -- using
\bookparts to produce multiple different parts is quite a
different situation than using \bookparts to produce a numbered
song book.  Users shouldn't try to mix these two cases.

... apart from one possibility: using \bookparts to create
multiple parts, each with an independent ToC.  Like

\bookpart {
  % vn 1
  \bookPart {
    \titlePage
    \tocPage
    \bookPart {
      \score{ \mvmtOne }
    }
    \bookPart {
      \score{ \mvmtTwo }
    }
    \bookPart {
      \score{ \mvmtThree }
  % vn 2
  \bookPart {

This is really stretching this awesome new feature, but I'd love
to be able to do this.  Especially if we could add a \filename
"vn1.pdf" option.  (added to google code)

These are all long-term musings; nothing urgent here.

Cheers,
- Graham